Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kiki Smith

I was first told to look at Kiki Smith's work this year by a friend who could tell right away I would like her work. It is simply beautiful and very powerful the way she transforms the figure and draws on symbolic connections between humans and animals. Her way of using the body as "a receptacle for knowledge, belief, and story telling" is similar to my approach when incorporating the human figure. She also draws on narrative tropes from classical mythology and folk tales and the themes of life, death, and resurrection are often present in her work. The hanging girl in the photo here reminded me a bit of the girl I sewed up in Jump! I can see my work moving more into the realm of folklore and so I've decided to begin delving deep into stories and books from the library to enhance my knowledge and inspire ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment