Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Peter Pan Complex

Up until recently I have always thought that I seemed to suffer from what I like to call a Peter Pan Complex. I have never been much of a fan of growing up because the imagination of a child I hold to be one of the most precious things in this world. Yes, a person can still retain an awesome imagination as they grow but it is simply not the same. It has to do with the loss of innocence as a person grows. The process of growing up and a loss of innocence is the major theme in my piece Jump! as the little girl looks into the exciting, yet scary swirling waters which come up to grab her. Whether or not she decides to jump she is going to end up in the water because one does not choose to grow up, it happens regardless. The only one who has ever escaped is the literary figure of Peter Pan and in a way the mind of J.M. Barrie his creator. I have read the book a couple of times and often refer to it for consolation or inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment