Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Guerra de la Paz


I discovered Guerra de la Paz while perusing the wonderful Fibers library and must admit that the duo is now on my list of favorite artists. Much of their work revolves around themes of environmental issues, mass consumption, and disposability. Social and political commentary can also be seen in regards to war, and gay/lesbian issues. Their use of garments as a material in and of themselves is completely sustainable and the results achieved are magical. They are creating whole alternate worlds and environments out of the clothes that I only wish I could inhabit. The awareness of the "Silent History" of the clothes is very important and they take careful note of it. The use of fabric to create an environment relates to the piece Jump! with the 3D rainbow water quilt. The claws coming out of the water create the environment and the silent history of the fabric in that piece is carefully notes as it relates to different stages or moments in my life. Material from my grade school uniform, a dress I loved when I was four, and jeans from an ex boyfriend are all present. The social potency of some of their pieces also ties in with my attempt to address a social/ economic issue through a story in the puppet show. Other past work reflects my interest in social issues as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment