Monday, March 22, 2010

Jump! : My first choice




This piece is all about my childhood and the process of growing up. The young girl stands on the edge of the dock wondering if she should jump into the swarming technicolor waters of life or stay on solid ground where it is safe. The water looks so enticing but claws reach out to grab her and in the end she really has no choice but to jump. I really enjoyed exploring how I could create an environment out of the various fabrics and discovering how some of the fabrics gave even more meaning to the piece because they came from past events in my life. There are swatches of my elementary school uniform, parts of a dress I used to always wear as a little girl, pieces of a costume for a play I was in, and pieces of denim from the torn jeans of a boy I was once interested in. All of these connections only add to the history and theme of a loss of innocence through growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment