Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Matthew Barney

Before truly thinking about my art in relation to others, I would have never thought to compare Matthew Barney’s strange erotic performances to my work. Now after some thought I realize that my work is slowly moving more and more into performance and that I can learn something from Barney by way of his ability to think big and all of the symbolism that surrounds his work. He invents these elaborate narratives involving both fictional and non-fictional creatures in order to play out the mythology and genealogy he has created for himself. The concept of creating one’s own personal mythology is one I have been pondering frequently lately. It comes with a set of personal and universal symbols intended to be deciphered, discovered and interpreted by others over the course of the story. The narrative draws the viewer in to figure out what is going on and give it greater meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment