Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Saya Woolfalk!

I recently discovered Saya Woolfalk as my classmates were giving presentations for my Fibers class and I must say I am glad I have now heard of her! Woolfalk works with painting, performance, costuming, video, and installation to “playfully re-imagine the representational systems that hierarchically shape our lives.” She makes plush costumes and creatures with bright rainbow colors reminiscent of child play. She possesses a "coloring book aesthetic marked by fruit punctuated landscapes, sharp-toothed creatures and a palette pink aplenty. But taking her inspiration from ethnographic, feminist, and psychoanalytic theory, Woolfalks’s worlds of whimsy are for your more sophisticated inner child."- Art 21 Over the past couple of years, Woolfalk has worked collboratively with other artists and anthropologists to create No Place an alternative world that is as real to Woolfalk as the one we live in. The inspiration she brings is from her ability to be entirely consumed in both realities to the point in which she no longer differentiates between No Place and the some place we live in. Her six chapter film called the Ethonography of No Place is a series of parts that serve to document No Place. The people who live in this mystical realm are part human and part plant who change colors over time and when they die become part of the landscape. Some of her influences include a book called Mythologies by Roland Barthes, the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland, Super Mario Brothers, and Hayao Miyazaki. The color in her work inspires me greatly as well as her affinity for story and performance. I can see my work moving more and more towards performance as I continue on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment